PROJECT

Soothe

facebook-icon blog-icon twitter-icon

Designing our wellbeing tool

Aims:

When creating the Cool, Calm and Collective wellbeing tool, we aimed to focus on reducing stress in participants as well as increasing their mood and happiness. We wanted to design the tool in a way which participants could easily access it, especially if they had a stressful day. Therefore, we decided to mainly focus on measuring participants happiness levels before and after completing the tool as well as if their stress had been relieved. In order to gain this information, we decided to include an online questionnaire which participants were asked to take in order to get some insight on whether the tool truly did help raise happiness and relive stress.

 

Ideas: 

We had decided as a team that we wanted to peruse the idea of creating an online tool to tackle our aim of making it easily accessible for participants to use. Using images provided by Project Soothe, we assigned different group members to divide the images up into categories, some placed in colour groups and others placed in specific groups like animals and water features. We initially had the idea that we would create three separate albums composed of twenty images of each category to allow for more options and easier selection, but in the end, we opted for only one album per category. We also decided that we would include an additional option for participants to be able to listen to music while they browsed as we all agreed that music can also be helpful for reducing stress and uplifting a person’s mood. We tasked some members with finding appropriate music to go along side the tool however this feature of the tool we made optional for participants and wasn’t a feature we were adamant on measuring and analyzing. As our tool was solely based online, we assigned group members to create a website which would include all the tools main features. In order to make the tool sound more appealing to test we also included a giveaway of a £20 Amazon gift voucher to encourage more participants to give it a go.

 

Barriers: 

We did encounter some issues regarding our plan for the tool. The music some of our team members had chosen had brought in copyright issues meaning we legally couldn’t use the music in the tool. However, thankfully we had the opportunity to be able create some custom music for the tool with a musician meaning the feature could still be a part of it. We also had to get rid of a few ideas along the way. When dividing the images up, we found that many of our chosen categories were quite unequal regarding the number of images in each one. Many albums contained around forty photographs while others remained at a mere ten or eleven photographs. To combat this, we had to join albums together and remove selected images from some to ensure that each album was relatively equal. This also meant we couldn’t follow our plan of creating three separate albums per category as we couldn’t find enough images for specific albums.

 

Data Collection: 

Since our group was situated in a school, we aimed to recruit the majority of our participants from this specific environment. We also agreed that each group member would mention the tool on our social media and would overall aim to spread the word through our socials and family members. Since our tool was online, it proved slightly easier to inform people about as it could be easily accessed through a web link. We also created QR codes which could be scanned by people in our school through their phones instead of typing in a specific web address which we found could be easily mistyped.

< back to team page