PROJECT

Soothe

facebook-icon blog-icon twitter-icon

Piloting our wellbeing tool

Participants: We have decided to recruit at school and throughout a variety of year groups but especially focusing on S4’s as this is their first year of doing exams, so we think that our book would have a significant positive impact upon them. However the advertisements went out to all year groups.  The aim was to get around 50 participants as many pupils are increasingly busy within the school and with there being two different Young Citizen Scientists’ studies being conducted in the school we thought that would be a realistic number.

 

Setting: Each of the pupils in the group encouraged friends and siblings to join the study in person. Notices advertising the study were also put into the pupil bulletin, the staff briefing and the parent digest to encourage participation. To recruit participants we sent a survey to pupils in the school from S1-S6 directly to their email addresses as well as putting it into an online space for each group controlled by the guidance staff. We asked guidance to identify specific students to take part however we were advised that was not the best way to recruit participants or test the tool generally.

 

Materials: We had the book made by an external company who printed it bound with a glossy cover. It is an amazing book full of ideas for soothing activities such as yoga, listening to music, cooking and baking. We used a software called pixelmator to create the illustrations and put together all of the images. All data collection has been done online, through google forms and an online survey platform.

 

Procedure:

1. In our weekly meetings we decided to advertise using the main tools within school including the google classroom for each year group, the pupil bulletin, the guidance staff, the staff themselves and the parents. This would mean we could cover all angles to make parents aware of the opportunity and if the pupils hadn’t see it advertised the parents could speak to them about signing up.

 

2. We advertised both of the tools together and gave pupils a choice of which to study to take part in. A google form was sent to parents and pupils to complete to sign up. It was very short with only a few questions and automatically collected their email addresses. With it being nice and short that would encourage people to sign up.

 

3. The adverts went into the each area just before half term to give a few weeks for pupils to sign up to the study. As it is such a big school information can get a bit lost as there is so much going on so this meant people would have more chance of seeing it.

 

4. We also spoke directly to our friends and family members about the study and encourage them to sign up. Most people who signed up did so because they had spoken to someone about the project directly.

 

5. Due to covid restrictions we decided not to advertise outside of the school as it would have been challenging to get the wellbeing tools to people right now.

 

6. Once participants had been recruited they were invited to complete a questionnaire to gather demographic information and baseline wellbeing and stress data covering the previous two-week school timetable cycle.

 

7. After completing the first questionnaire they then collected a paperback copy of The Adventures of Bea book (our wellbeing tool) to test over the next two-week school cycle.

 

8. At the end of that two-week school cycle, participants were invited to complete a second questionnaire to gather wellbeing and stress data during the test period, in addition to specific feedback about their experience of using our wellbeing tool.

< back to team page